Monday, April 30, 2012

A520.7.3.RB.HoyeJennifer

I remember the day, I fell in love with the art of presentation. It was the first day of my freshman year. I attended my first high school assembly where Dr. Pheifer, the principle of the massive 5A Cooper High School in Abilene, TX (there were 500 people freshman in my class alone) was able to hold the ENTIRE student body attention for 45 minutes straight. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat because I couldn't wait for her next analogy. Dr. Pheifer, was a master at public speaking.

I was on speech and debate team throughout my entire high school years and always aspired to speak as eloquently as she did! During that time, Dr. Pheifer would step in to 'have a listen'. It was my Speech coach, Ms. Gary, that I consider to be my very first mentor. SHE was the one who actually TAUGHT you how to speak in front of people...'effortlessly'! Ms. Gary's lessons still ring in the back of my mind today, nearly two decades later!

The Significance of a Mentor

A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself. Mentoring requires a willingness to share, listen, and provide advice in a flexible relationship. One can’t get through all those challenges without a little help and a lot of internal strength. Thus, a mentor is someone who can show that internal strength that each person presumably has. And though small as it may seem, a glimpse of the potential greatness that resides within each person is enough for anyone to believe in the future and continue to persevere.

The Impact of Having a Mentor

My first mentor, Ms. Gary exposed me to educational and social opportunities, which opened my eyes to all the different possibilities. She motivated me to seek out new experiences, which I otherwise would not have done! I believe a mentor can motivate by helping protege's set achievable goals and realize personally relevant outcomes. This is extremely important and 'sticks', carrying over into other areas of life. Moreover, the impact of having a mentor is as vast as the ocean dropping into the horizon!

Get around people who have something of value to share with you. Their impact will continue to have a significant effect on your life long they have departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment