Saturday, February 4, 2012

Assumptions Americans Makes About Choosing


After watching the TED video by Sheena Iyengar on the art of choosing. Sheena suggests three assumptions that Americans make about choosing:
1. Make Your Own Choices
2. More options leads to better choices
3. Never say no to choice

I absolutely LOVED this video. I am linking it HERE for those of you who'd like to watch it!
http://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_choosing_what_to_choose.html

In her first point, Make Your Own Choices, Sheena says, we see making your own choices as, "Being true to yourself." and "The assumptions that we do best when the individual self chooses, only holds when that self is clearly divided from others. It is a mistake to assume that everyone thrives under the pressure of choosing alone."

An instance I can think of in my own life where I did not care to have a lot, or any choices are at the gym. In that setting I do best if someone tells me exactly what and how to do a workout. The gym, for me, is definitely an instance where having choices does not matter to me! However, generally speaking in life, I usually make important decisions based on some long term plan for myself. It is usually a quite personal decision that is based on what suites me. (Sounds a bit selfish, but I think if you really evaluate yourself and the choices made in your personal life...you'd agree).


In Sheena's second point, More Options Leads To Better Choices, she states, "Many choices are between things are not that much different", and "The value of choice is to perceive differences between options." The truth is, having too many choices people can make poor decisions. We are smart people, we can think rationally, and make decisions. But reality is often different. Prejudices, fears, doubts and pre-determined assumptions can cloud our judgement.

In Sheena's third point, Never Say No To Choice, she says, "Americans themselves are discovering that unlimited choice is more attractive in theory than in practice" and "When it comes to choice, we have far more to gain then to loose, If we speak to each other albeit through translation, then we can begin to see choice in all its strangeness, complexity, and compelling beauty."

I also watch a talk TED talk by Sheena called 'How to make choosing easier'. I am linking it HERE, because it is a fantastic end to the first subject of choice. In this video, Sheena speaks about choice overload and how to make better choices.

These videos are important to leadership because in leadership it is important to know how and why your choices are made, and how they affect the people you are leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment