Thursday, June 27, 2013

A511.4.4.RB

A511.4.4.RB
 
This week’s readings and content covered managerial motivation and effectiveness.  Motivation is a topic I could read about all the time and never get tired of!  In many of the instances I've experienced where employees were unhappy, it was due to being unmotivated in their work.  When you, as a manager can motivate your employees, it gives them a sense of purpose.  Today, more than ever, a sense of purpose is important!
 
Managerial motivation, or motivating as a manager is not too much different than motivating as a team member, it simply has more weight!  As a manager, it is my job to encourage and motivate my team.  I realized some time ago, that motivating my team makes things not only go smoother, but have a coherent outcome.
 
 
Managerial Effectiveness

Theodore Rubin stated the following about problems (as a manager).  The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem.
 
Managers loose effectiveness when they loose site of the fact that problems will happen, after all it is PART of the job!  It is important for managers to take the people out of the problem and simply focus on the problem!
 
As a leader I posses the following skills which I believe contribute greatly to the leader and manager I am:
  • Vision
  • Intuitive
  • Set a Good Example
  • Supportive (give praise for great work)
  • Listener
  • Doer
  • Foster leadership in subordinates/employees

 
I believe I can leverage those strengths to improve value to my organization by using them to influence change.  Change is necessary for growth and doesn't always have to be painful.  influencing change, creates an environment that is open to change, which is a beautiful thing!
 

 
 
 The type of change I am speaking of, is in leadership and management that holds the torch high, but still low enough to keep everybody warm!  It is the type of leadership and management which hones the leaders who to come, because a leader is only as good as his/her team!  The contingency theory can help me by continually being flexible as a leader and manager.  There is not a one-size fit-all answer to every question and fix to every problem.  Each solution is contingent, not only on the team member, but the situation at hand!

 
Taking in account situational variables to assist in the process will show employees and peers that I have taken the time to think about options, rather than just making a quick decision because I can.
 
 
References:
 
 
Yukl, G.  (2013).  Leadership in organization. (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ:  Prentice Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment